Welcome to Darkest Temptations
Home of the Dark side

The Fics found here are dark in nature, so please use caution when browsing for a story. Darkest Temptations does have adult content, so please be aware before entering. If you need help finding the right kind of "dark", just let us know. We will be more than happy to help.

Thanks for visiting.
Enter the Dark Side
Photobucket

Tuesday, May 10

EdwardsChipper's Rec



Buried Amongst the Begonias


by: DurtyNelly

Blog: http://durtynellystwistedhouseofhorrors.blogspot.com/


*slowly threads fingers, stretches out hands, and soundly cracks knuckles*

WARNING: Author's Note - This story is not for the faint of heart. It contains graphic scenes of violence, torture, rape, murder and S&M.

*points up* Okay, now go read that up there again. I want no one emailing DT or PMing me saying they weren’t sufficiently warned.

On that note, helloooo again, my pernicious, pervilicious peeps! Over the last few days, it has occurred to me that I’ve been…rather lenient on all of you. I’ve been lax in my duties in reccing to you that for which you would sell your wares on the infamous Darkest Temptations corner in the midst of Hurricane Andrew. That for which makes you salivate more than a vamp smack dab front and center at a highly-attended, stuffed-to-the-gills-stadium, sporting event. That for which makes you take your laptop into the nearest closet to hide, your eyes glued to the screen, your ladybits a-tingling with anticipation.

Yep, no more pussy-footin’ around because it’s time for the Big Guns - a fic with more what-the-fuck moments than Britney Spears attempting to complete a crossword puzzle.

I give you…Buried Amongst the Begonias.

Now, if you haven’t already read this one, I highly suggest a cocktail, quite a few hours of uninterrupted solitude, and a firm grasp on what you can and cannot stomach. To say this is not for the faint of heart would be the quintessential understatement of the decade for me.


Yeeeeah.


Summary: Why has Alice kept her best friend, Bella, away from her twin brother? What will happen when she finally meets him? Will Alice's warnings keep Bella way? Or will she do something very stupid? All Human. Horror/Splatterpunk. Rated: M

*laughs* I just read that summary for the first time in about a year. It’s like comparing Dr. Seuss to Stephen King. Both are really good authors, but their styles are just so…different. ;)

What is Splatterplunk, you ask? Well, DurtyNelly offers up a nice and tidy definition on her blog:

Splatterpunk—a term coined in 1986 by David J. Schow at the Twelfth World Fantasy Convention in Providence, Rhode Island—refers to a movement within horror fiction distinguished by its graphic, often gory, depiction of violence and "hyperintensive horror with no limits." It is regarded as a revolt against the "traditional, meekly suggestive horror story".


Mmmmhmmm.


So here’s the dilemma. If I tell you the gist of this fic, I will give entirely too much away because the joy of it is discovering all the twists and turns along the way. The summary does a very good job of giving you just enough. But if you’re just itchin’ for a teensy-weensy bit, I found this particularly tantalizing part which should leave you panting for more:

~~~

"Anyway, so you met Edward..." she waved her hand at me, motioning for me to go on.

"Yea," I said slowly. We would be coming back to Emmett later.

And then I told her everything. Sparing no details. I told her why I was there, meeting Edward, every move he made, everything he said, everything I felt. I even told her about Alice's reaction to finding me in the house, their little confrontation when I was hidden in the bathroom, Alice asking me to promise to stay away from him, and finally, how I told her I couldn't do that.

When I had finished talking, Rose was looking at me like I had a tampon shoved up each nostril.

"What the fuck, Bella?" she said, shaking her head at me.

"What?" I asked.

"Hmm, how about this guy sounds a bit fucked up. Maybe, you should listen to his sister and stay the hell away from the freak," she replied disdainfully.

"No, Rose, you're not listening. He's...ahhh, why did I think you would understand?" I huffed, crossing my arms.

Looks like you're on your own, Bella. Yippee, now my head hurts.

"Come on, Bella, he called you 'little girl', that is fucking creepy! Not to mention, Alice said he was dangerous!" Her voice was climbing and by the end she was yelling at me.

"She said 'sometimes'!" I yelled back.

"Ohh, please, for-fucking-give me. So, now you can just go on a date with him when he's having a non-psycho day!" she replied sarcastically.

I was fuming, not because of what she said, but because I knew she was right, and because I knew I wouldn't listen to her. I had made up my mind yesterday. I wanted to see him, get to know him...maybe he wouldn't be so bad. Maybe, he was simply misunderstood. Alice had said he was complicated, not crazy.

Oh and the delusions just keep coming!

~~~

I mean, really, how fucked up can Edward be? (Pipe down, you Jasperites!) He’s Edddwarrrd… *sighs*


Pah!


Trust me when I say that Edward is nothing like Edward, at least not in any other fic I’ve read. You also have the rest of your standard cast of Cullens, including Jake *makes vomit noise*. Buuuuuttt even Jake isn’t…shall we say, typical. *smirks*

I can’t recommend this fic enough if you can handle the subject matter. DurtyNelly is a master of the build-up, the mystery…and none but the most serious of horror - excuse me, Gothic Horror - fans should take this one for a spin. Remember to leave her some love, too, ‘cuz even seriously-twisted, gothic horror writers need some lovin’ every now and again.

Until next time, may your Darkest Temptations be served…!



No comments:

Post a Comment